CAVITY WALL INSULATION REMOVAL
Why might you need to have your cavity wall insulation removed?
When the right material is correctly installed, and your property is suitable and in good condition externally, cavity wall insulation will help your home stay warm, safe and energy efficient.
However, cavity wall insulation can cause penetrating damp, mould and excessive condensation if:
- It’s old and worn
- It was installed incorrectly
- Your home is in a high exposure area. (Find out if yours is)
- The cavity was not clear before the insulation was installed
- The structure of your home is not suitable for cavity wall insulation
- You have damaged walls such as cracks in the brickwork, render or pointing
- Blockages have entered the cavity because of building works
- Gaps in the insulation allow heat to escape and damp to penetrate
- If the insulation gets wet it will act as a sponge, drawing water across and holding it against your walls
- The insulation can prevent adequate ventilation and cause damage to, for example, a steel or timber frame, suspended wooden floors and can corrode wall ties.
It may take a few years before you notice anything, but damp could still be damaging your walls before it becomes obvious. It’s likely your energy costs will be rising too, as your heating will have to work harder to maintain a comfortable temperature.
OSCAR is the accredited body that can certify quality workmanship has been maintained and that your cavity wall insulation extraction has been completed to a high standard and it is certificated to prove so.
- OSCAR approved extractors undertake a thorough process from start to finish and evidence the extraction. They can then let you know how much it will cost to clear your cavities.
- They prepare the site and erect scaffolding if necessary.
- They typically create openings at damp proof level in the external wall by removing bricks at predetermined distances right around the house.
- They fix specially designed extraction covers to the openings and attach an extractor.
- They drill a series of holes in the mortar line or render and use air pressure to force the insulation materials down to the extractor.
- They inspect the cavity at regular intervals throughout the extraction using a 360ovideo borescope that gives them a 2m view in every direction.
- When the extraction is complete, and they’ve confirmed all the cavities are completely clear they reinstate the walls and return your home to its original state.
- They then clear and clean the site.
- They carry out a final inspection of your property.
- OSCAR technicians should visit and carry out the final inspection to check the work has been done 100% correctly.